Philip is one of the founding partners of the firm. Highly-respected by his peers and sought-after by clients, he is a preeminent litigator, mediator and arbitrator with an unparallelled record of success in resolving challenging family law cases.
As a distinguished litigator, Philip has represented his clients at all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada, and before mediators and arbitrators. His body of reported decisions has had a material impact on the development of family law in Ontario.
As a senior partner, Philip's practice is now dedicated entirely to mediation, arbitration and appellate advocacy. A smart, strategic, and creative problem-solver, Philip provides clients with a direct and evaluative process to facilitate the most practical, beneficial and cost-effective outcomes. With unmatched experience and expertise, Philip skillfully and decisively guides parties through the negotiation and settlement of their family law disputes outside of court.
Philip is a Certified Mediator/Arbitrator of the ADR Institute of Ontario, a Certified Mediator with the Ontario Association for Family Mediators and a former Dispute Resolution Officer of the Superior Court of Ontario.
Recognized as a pioneer in family law and ADR, Philip is frequently invited to speak at education programs for both lawyers and judges. He is the former Chair of the Family Law Section of the Ontario Bar Admission Course, a former Bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada and a former Chair of the Family Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association.
- Appointed to the Order of Ontario (2020)
- Named "Most Frequently Recommended" family law lawyer by Lexpert
- Listed in the Best Lawyers International directory
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Excellence Award from the Ontario Bar Association (2012)
- The Law Society of Upper Canada Medal for service to the profession (1999)
- The Family Law Excellence Award from the Family Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association (1998)
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Association of Family Conciliation Courts
- Editor-in-Chief, Reports of Family Law
- Author, Epstein’s This Week in Family Law published by eCarswell
- Contributor, National Judicial Institute and Family Law Programs
- former Chair of the Family Law Section of the Ontario Bar Admission Course
- former Bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada
Education, Admissions & Designations
- Called to the Bar of Ontario (1970)
- LL.B. from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law (1968)
- Queen's Counsel (1982)