With strong negotiation skills and extraordinary legal acumen, Kenneth is well-known for his ability to find creative, cooperative and beneficial resolutions to complex family law disputes. Whether through mediation, arbitration or litigation, he is sharp-witted, responsive, and empathetic in his approach to achieving his clients’ goals, meeting their needs and exceeding their expectations.
Kenneth founded Epstein Cole with Philip Epstein in 1978. As a senior partner, his practice focuses on all aspects of family law and alternative dispute resolution, regularly acting as a mediator and arbitrator. He has appeared in all courts in the Province of Ontario, including the Ontario Court of Justice, the Superior Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. Kenneth has also served as a Dispute Resolution Officer for the Superior Court of Justice.
Devoted to the mentorship and professional development of young lawyers, Kenneth takes an active role in the legal profession. He regularly lectures and writes about a variety of family law topics through the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association and various local law associations. In addition, Kenneth currently teaches the Advanced Family Law Course as an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Law for the University of Toronto and has participated as an adjunct professor in the LL.M. program for Osgoode Hall Law School, lecturing on property and legal ethics subjects.
In 2017, he received the Catzman Award for Professionalism and Civility awarded by The Advocates' Society in recognition of his strong knowledge of the law, integrity, fairness and civility, generosity of his time and expertise, and dedication to the highest ideals of the legal profession.
Kenneth takes great pride and interest in each of his client's cases. When working with him, you can expect the most sophisticated level of legal research and factual investigation as well as personal, one-on-one service throughout the resolution of your matter.
- Catzman Award for Professionalism and Civility from The Advocates' Society (2017)
- Lexpert "Repeatedly Recommended" - Family Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Family Law
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Frequent lecturer in family law for:
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Association of Law Teachers
- Adjunct Professor for University of Toronto Law School, Advanced Family Law
- Former Adjunct Professor in the LLM program at Osgoode Hall Law School, instructing on issues in Family Law related to Property and Ethics.
- Former Head of the Family Law Practice Skills Program for the Bar Admission Course for the Law Society of Ontario
- Former Lecturer in the Family Law Section of the Bar Administration Course
Education, Admissions & Designations
- Called to the Bar of Ontario (1976)
- LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School (Dean’s List) (1974)