Courtney is a dynamic and knowledgeable family law advocate with a keen interest in working together with clients to craft practical and creative resolutions. Skilled at breaking down the complexities of family law matters, Courtney helps her clients set realistic expectations and understand their options, which gives them a great sense of control and confidence over the outcomes they pursue.
Courtney is a Partner at Epstein Cole and can assist in all aspects of family law including complex parenting and financial issues (relating to both property and support). She has training and experience in matters involving intimate partner violence and mobility. Courtney also represents clients seeking domestic contracts, including cohabitation agreements, marriage contracts and separation agreements.
In support of her passion for promoting access to justice, Courtney works on a limited scope basis with some clients who are unable to operate under a more traditional retainer model.
Prior to joining the firm, Courtney clerked for the Judges of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the (then) Senior Family Judge, conducting in-depth research on a wide range of family law topics.
With her background as a professional orchestral musician, Courtney spent years training to remain calm and composed in high pressure situations – a quality that puts her clients at ease and makes her well suited to even the most challenging negotiation or litigation.
Courtney completed the Screening for Power Imbalances Including Intimate Partner Violence training in 2021.
You will find Courtney's compassion, knowledge, and easy way of connecting with people to be a great resource during an often challenging time.
- Ontario Bar Association Family Law Section - Member-at-Large (elected) 2020/2021
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Ontario
- Ontario Family Law Limited Scope Services Project (roster lawyer)
- Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, SHE Matters event committee
- Pro Bono Students Canada, student mentor
- Luke's Place Virtual Legal Clinic, past volunteer
Education, Admissions & Designations
- Called to the Bar of Ontario (2013)
- Bachelor of Civil Law and Common Law from McGill University, Faculty of Law (2011)
- Master of Music from McGill University (2006)
- Bachelor of Music from Acadia University (2004)